West Bradford Golf Club,
West Bradford is a private members golf club situated some three miles northwest of Bradford city centre, just six miles from Haworth, home of the Bronte's, 14 miles from Leeds city centre, and 21 miles from Harrogate.
The club was originally founded by a group of wealthy Bradford textile barons in 1900. The very first layout of the course was designed by James Young, and the construction of it was entrusted to James Carter & Co. of London, who had developed the Old Course at Sunningdale Golf Club a few years earlier.
Hawtree + Son.
In the 1940's the course was completely redesigned, and two brand new holes were added, by golf course architects Hawtree + Son (now Hawtree Ltd) - the renowned family firm of architects behind the design of Royal Birkdale, Hillside Golf Club, Royal Aberdeen and Foxhills. The Hawtree layout has been preserved, and the course plays exactly how architects F.G. Hawtree & his son F.W. Hawtree designed it to be played over 60 years ago.
The terrain is undulating although not physically too demanding but the golfer has to contend with sloping greens and tight fairways, along with the prevailing westerly breeze.
All in all a visit to West Bradford should provide the visitor with a testing but pleasurable day out, the proof of which is borne out by the numbers who return year after year.